Veggie burgers are the rage! People are making these delicious bites from anything and everything. My take on these healthy gems? Black Beans!! Latin style black bean burgers with spicy pico de gallo, to be more precise. Being Latin American, I grew up eating black beans. I will be honest with you and tell you that I did not appreciate them that much growing up. As an adult, I have grown to love them. I hope you like these black bean burgers as much as I do. By the way, I recently created a recipe for chickpea burgers on this blog, so you might want to check that one out too.
Black beans are full of protein. They belong to a family of nutrients referred to as pulses. In this family of nutrients one can also find lentils, fava beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans. Black beans are a staple in the cuisines of Latin America and the Caribbean. They are also referred to as turtle beans, I am not sure why. Black beans go back about 6,000. Yes, they’ve been around a long time!
Black bean burgers with spicy pico de gallo are definitely a healthier alternative to a quarter-pounder. No fat, no cholesterol, 100% natural. You can serve it with a little pico de gallo (yes, I included the recipe). Yup, skip the ketchup for this one. You might even want to skip the bun and serve it over greens for a truly healthy alternative.
Btw… did I mention that this is a gluten free recipe? Yes! I decided to skip the breadcrumbs as a binder and use chickpea flour. Really, you can’t tell the difference. These are also incredibly simple to make: put all the ingredients in the food processor, and voila!
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion finely diced.
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- 1 egg beaten or ⅓ cup aquafaba (vegan)
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- Olive oil
- Pico de gallo
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small jalapeno cored, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- dash of sugar
- To make the pico de gallo, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the "burgers": In a food processor, place beans, onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno. Pulse a few times until you have a thick dough-like texture. Add in the cumin, chili powder, allspice, egg,(aquafaba) and chickpea flour and pulse again until well mixed, but you want to have a chunky texture, not a puree. Place mixture in a bowl and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat olive oil ( enough to cover the bottom of the pan) in a non-stick skillet and quickly pan fry for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on a bun and top with pico de gallo.