“A cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education”
Given this quote, we can assume that cauliflower did not rank among Mark Twain’s favorite foods. However, if he had tasted creamy cauliflower soup with saffron he might have felt differently.
But, alas, the cauliflower wasn’t always so lowly. Believe it or not, this homely vegetable was once the rage in the court of Louis XIV. It was so popular and adored that it was served in elegant dishes at dinner parties. Go figure!
Personally, I’ve never counted cauliflower among my favorite foods. Recently, however, I am intrigued by its rising popularity among all the carb-conscious folks out there. Since starting my food blog I have given a second chance to many foods. So, why not give cauliflower a chance then? I think creamy cauliflower soup with saffron is a good place to start. I’ve been dying to use this saffron my sister got me when she went to Turkey.
This soup is so easy to make, and the leftovers are great too. Yes, I took some in my lunch the next day. This soup is pretty healthy since cauliflower is chock full of antioxidants, and vitamins as well. Cauliflower also comes in purple, orange, and yellow, so pretty!
Creamy cauliflower soup with saffron is perfect on a cold days or night where you need something to warm you up from the inside out. The creaminess, the soft silky texture, I wanted to eat the entire pot. This statement coming from someone who until recently thought cauliflower was as exciting as watching grass grow is HUGE!
I also like to serve this soup with a crusty bread like Irish brown bread, just an idea!
Finally, I think your friends can use a bowl of creamy cauliflower soup with saffron. Make sure you share the recipe with friends and family.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Saffron
A family favorite recipe! Quick and easy vegetarian creamy cauliflower soup with saffron. You will love the delicate flavors and it goes will with a nice crusty bread. If you are a cream soup fan this is a must try recipe!
- 2 lbs cauliflower 1 head
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion medium size, sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 2 potatoes medium baking type, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp curly parsley finely chopped
- Break cauliflower head into florets and rinse.
- In a soup pot heat olive oil on medium. Saute the onion and garlic and sprinkle with salt, and pepper. Stir in the celery.
- Add the cauliflower florets,potatoes, and vegetable broth and allow it to come to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the saffron threads.
- Cover and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the florets are soft.
- Add the half and half, nutmeg and stir well.
- Next, using an immersion blender puree the solids until you get a smooth silky texture.
- Garnish with parsley.