Buenos dias muchachos! Here’s an easy recipe for Taco Tuesday. Spicy shrimp tacos with jicama slaw. I love tacos because they are so versatile. You can make a taco from just about ANYTHING. Since I love seafood, these spicy shrimp tacos with jicama slaw are right up my food alley. I will also be having other taco recipes coming down the pipes. But in the meantime, you might want to check out my pork carnitas tacos. They are amazing!
These babies are marinated in a combo of orange juice, lime juice, tequila and a generous sprinkling of my very own chili powder recipe. You can’t go wrong with this flavor profile.
The jicama (hee cah ma) slaw has carrot sticks, and red cabbage. It rocks! It’s colorful to say the least. It’s also a perfect complement to the soft shrimp.
If you’ve never had jicama, you’re totally missing out. It’s a root vegetable popular in Mexican and Southeast Asian cuisine. It’s not only tasty, but also super healthy, because it contains vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.
Overall, this recipe is fairly simple and pretty much guilt free. I cook the shrimp quickly on the skillet on high heat. And the jicama slaw is made up of healthy and delicious veggies, all topped with sour cream.
What are your favorite tacos? I would love to hear from you!
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Jicama Slaw
You are going to love these spicy shrimp tacos with jicama slaw. This recipe comes together very quick so it’s a must try for a fast weeknight meal too! Layer some carrot sticks, red cabbage and chopped jicama on a warm tortilla with some spicy shrimp, queso fresco and sour cream.
- 1/2 jicama cut into think strips
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 3 Tbsp cilantro chopped
Other items and toppings:
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 4 Tbsp queso fresco crumbled
- 1/2 cup Sour cream optional
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- To marinate the shrimp: In a glass bowl combine lime juice, honey, salt, sugar, chili powder and nutmeg.
Other items & toppings:
- Toss in the shrimp, and allow them to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- To prepare the jicama slaw, place jicama, carrots, cabbage, and cilantro in a glass bowl and toss together until well combined.
- Next, in a small bowl, mix together the pepper, salt and sugar, and sprinkle over the veggies tossing well to combine.
Prepare the marinade: In a small bowl combine oil, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, pepper, salt, and sugar. Mix well, then drizzle over the slaw, and use two spoons to completely coat.
- To cook the shrimp, first remove them from the marinade and lightly pat dry. Heat a non stick skillet on medium and quickly sear the shrimp about 1-2 minutes on each side.
Place some jicama slaw on tortilla shell, and top with shrimp. Drizzle with sour cream if desired.