Horchata Recipe Card
Horchata is a creamy, smooth sweet summer drink popular in Spain and Latin America. It is traditionally served cold in a tall glass without ice.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Resting time 4 hours
Total Time 4 hours 15 minutes
Servings: Change to adjust-> 8
Calories 228 kcal
uncooked, long grain white rice
blanched and chopped
optional: Stored with a vanilla bean to coat the rim of your serving glasses.
Working in batches pour the rice, almonds and the water into the bowl of a blender, blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Place in a large container and let the rice and the water stand at room temperature for about 4 hours.
Strain the rice water through a strainer into a large pitcher and discard the rice. Stir in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving. You can coat the rim of the glass with vanilla sugar (yum) or brown sugar.
For an added flair, you can serve your horchata in martini glasses.
* You can substitute almond milk for cow's milk if you want to make this into a vegan drink.
How to blanch almonds:
Take raw (not roasted or salted) plain almonds and drop them in a pan of water that is just about boiling. Leave them in the water for about 2 minutes and remove them with a slotted spoon. Immediately place them in a strainer and rinse with cold water and the skin will slide off easily. Just pinch the almond skin between your thumb and forefinger.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How long can I store horchata? You need to store this in the refrigerator as you would milk after you make it and it will last about a week as would milk.
- Can I freeze horchata? I would not freeze horchata as it would spoil the consistency and would separate.
- Can I make a cocktail with horchata? If you happen to have some fresh horchata during happy hour you can certainly add in a little rum for a delicious cocktail too. I would add 1 oz. of rum to 8 oz. of horchata and serve over ice.
Horchata Recipe Card
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 35IU1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.