Without a doubt French patisserie fruit tart has to be among my most favorite desserts. For starters, this dessert is topped with copious amounts of fruit which makes me feel I am being healthy, probably as long as I ignore the cream filling. French patisserie fruit tart is an impressive dessert which is really not too difficult to make at all. This is definitely the dessert you want to take to a party because you will certainly wow your friends as well as all the other guests.
As I said, this dessert is impressive but not really that difficult to put together. You can break the process down into three components: shortcrust, cream filling, and fruit topping. You can glaze the French patisserie fruit tart for added effect, but it is not 100% necessary. A HUGE PLUS is that you can make the first two items the day before.
My favorite grocery store in town started offering this French patisserie fruit tart about 10 years ago. Every now and then I would buy one. The price kept going up every year to the point that I refused to buy it anymore. And thus, it became my mission to try to figure out the recipe. What took me the most time was to get the cream filling right. It is not really a creme patissiere (thick pastry cream), but a much lighter one. It took me a couple of attempts as well as some research, but finally I figured it out. You basically prepare a vanilla cream made using cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. That simple!
Finally, I don’t know if it is a good thing or not that I now know how to make a French patisserie fruit tart. This can be a dangerous skill! After all, I might gain a few pounds if I am not careful!
French Patisserie Fruit Tart
A deliciously refreshing French style patisserie tart with a sweet shortcrust, cream filling topped with fresh fruit and glazed for added effect. Delicious!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 4 oz unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 kiwi peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven to 375'F
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor and process until it looks like cornmeal. Press mixture into a 10" tart pan and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare the cream filling place the heavy cream in the cold bowl of a stand up mixer and blend for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Continue mixing until the mixture is smooth.
- To prepare the glaze: combine sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Heat the fruit juice on medium, and slowly start adding in the sugar mixture while stirring. Bring to a boil and allow it to cook for about two minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and let it cool for ten minutes before using.
- Assemble the tart by first filling crust with vanilla cream, then arrange fruit in an artful way on top of the cream. Brush with glaze.