A delicious side dish for any of your summer meals. Black beans, feta, basil, red onion, and tomato salad goes great with anything and everything. I recently made it for a family gathering, and it went over really well. Having said that, I thought I’d share the latin fusion with all of you. Spread the love, you know!
Being Latin American, I am crazy about black beans.
They’re not only delicious and versatile, but healthy too. They’re chock full of fiber, protein and antioxidants. I told you they were healthy! Black beans are native to the Central America and Mexico. Archaeologists believe that black beans are one of the first legumes to be cultivated. They’ve been grown for over 5000 years.
Flavor and texture
This black bean salad is earthy, has salty feta, plus sweet and savory basil. It’s a true kaleidoscope.
This awesome salad can double up as a relish for broiled fish, or can be eaten with tortilla chips. BTW, if you love black beans as much as I do you might want to check out my recipe for mango black bean salsa, just saying.
This salad is one of the easiest things I’ve ever made. All you need to do is chop and mix. You can make this dish in about 30 minutes or less depending on your chopping skills. I like to use the basil from my garden. I haven’t managed to kill it yet. Down the street from my house are two farm stands with red and juicy tomatoes. It doesn’t get any better than this.
Here are the step by step photos to make this salad and dressing:
- Prepare all the ingredients and have them ready. Chop, measure, drain and rinse the beans then have them all set to go.
- In a large bowl mix together the black beans, feta cheese, basil, red onion and tomatoes.
- Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Kosher salt, oregano, thyme, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
- Whisk vigorously until well combined. Tip: If you are taking this dish to a picnic keep the dressing separate until you are ready to serve.
- Add the dressing to the salad, mix to combine and serve.
Q: How long will this last and can I make it ahead?
A: You can make this dish 1 day ahead of serving but do not add the dressing until ready to serve. It is always best as fresh as possible.
Q: Can I freeze this dish?
A: Do not freeze this dish as it will will be completely wilted and soggy when thawed.
Q: How long will it last in the refrigerator?
A: After you have added the dressing and have some left, I have eaten this the following day and it is still very crisp and fresh. More than 1 day old it will not be nearly as crisp and will needed tossed.
Q: Can I make my bean salad Mexican?
A: Not per se, but feel free to add spice.
Black beans, feta, basil, red onion, and tomato salad is my new go to picnic dish.
Black Beans, Feta, Basil, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad
You will love this black bean, feta, basil, red onion and tomato salad. Try a great cool summer salad with bright herb flavors of basil and thyme.
- To prepare the salad:
- In a large bowl, mix together the black beans, feta cheese, basil, red onion, and tomatoes.
- For the dressing:
- In a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Kosher salt, oregano, thyme, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour over the bean mixture and mix until ingredients are well coated.
- Chill until ready to use.