It seems that everyone, everywhere is eating wraps these days. And, why not? They are tasty and handy; plus the possibilities are endless. Just for you today, I've made creamy curry chicken salad wraps. They are good enough for lunch and dinner.
Curry chicken wraps for the apps
Actually we're getting together with some friends tonight, and I was asked to bring an appetizer. Yeah, did I mention that healthy wrap recipes can double up as an app too? I am cutting them up into smaller pieces, and putting them on a pretty tray. Voila! I'll have an awesome app to share.
Spinach leaves add a nice color punch.
Yellow and green are great together. The added nutrition is not a bad deal either. Cashews add an interesting crunchy texture.
For this recipe, I am using my very own curry blend. I am into creating my own spice blends because you can customize to your tasters. It also lets you be creative, and there is a lot of creativity in cooking.
Step by step photos:
- Gather all your ingredients and have them chopped, measured and ready to go.
- Butterfly the chicken breast in half to reduce the cook time. Heat a skillet on medium and place the chicken, salt, cilantro, jalapeño, peppercorns, bay leaf, and curry powder. Pour in 1 cup of water, stir to combine then cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Flip the chicken half way through the cook time. Once it hits 165°F internal temperature remove from the pan, discard the solids and allow it to cool to room temperature then refrigerate.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the curry sauce by adding the curry power, salt and allspice to the yogurt.
- Stir the salt and spices into the yogurt then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the chicken has completely cooled, slice it into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the cubed chicken to a large bowl then add the tomato, onion and yogurt sauce.
- Stir to combine until all the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Place a layer of spinach on a soft tortilla then add the chicken mixture down the middle and sprinkle with chopped cashews. Fold the bottom up as shown.
- Fold the left side over the bottom fold.
- Fold the right side toward the middle and gather it together tightly.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can I freeze the chicken? Yes, you can freeze just the cubed chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 months. The vegetables and curry sauce can be added fresh after the chicken has thawed completely.
- How long can I keep the curry chicken salad? You can store the chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Need a low-carb chicken curry wrap option?
If you're trying to cut down on carbs, you can go for a different shell. Use bib lettuce, rice paper, or a gluten-free shell. If you're looking for something healthy to enjoy with your wraps I recommend my Moroccan Carrot Salad or Mediterranean Orzo Salad.
I hope you get to make these creamy curry chicken wraps soon. Let me know what you think.
Creamy Curry Chicken Salad Wraps
A savory and healthy chicken salad in a creamy Greek yogurt and curry dressing. Perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Can be wrapped in a tortilla shell, or placed on a lettuce leaf.
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- 6 tortilla shells
- ⅓ cup cashews coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded, cored, diced
Prepare the chicken:
In a skillet on medium heat, place chicken, salt, cilantro, jalapeño, peppercorns, bay leaf, and curry powder. Add 1 cup of water, stir and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature is 165°F. Flip the chicken over half way through the cooking time.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from heat and place on a cutting board and allow it to come to room temperature. Discard liquid and solids.
Place in the refrigerator and cool completely.
Prepare the yogurt sauce:
- While the chicken cooks, mix yogurt, curry, allspice, and salt in a bowl. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Prepare the chicken filling:
When the chicken is cold, cut into small pieces and place in a bowl. Slowly mix in the yogurt sauce and coat evenly.
Next, mix in the diced onions, and tomatoes.
Assemble the wraps:
Place a few spinach leaves on top of the tortilla shell.
Evenly distribute the chicken salad on top of the spinach, then sprinkle with the chopped cashews.
Fold in the two sides so they overlap, then roll from the bottom up.
- Slice each wrap diagonally.
Originally published August 2017 and updated July 2020.