Ah, this is the time of year where comfort food is king! Cold nights, beckon for foods that are rich in taste, and stick to your cold bones. Enter French oven baked beef stew; a satisfying dish from the Lorraine region of France. The proper name is Baeckeoffe, which loosely translates into oven baked.
Today I am tweaking things a bit by adding in an unusual touch. Cooking is all about innovating, right? So, I am using a new product: Orange infused olive oil. I got it at a great locally owned gourmet shop in my town: The Lavender Rabbit. Susan the owner carries a huge selection of various infused olive oils and vinegar. Also she carries different mustard blends which I am dying to try. She offers private tasting parties as well in case any of my Erie, PA readers are interested.
This fabulous French oven baked beef stew consists of delicious seasoned beef cubes, onions, and carrots, placed in a braising pan, and then covered with thin slices of potatoes. Both the beef and potatoes cook to tender perfection. Once you taste it, you will agree that this French oven baked beef stew needs to be a regular at your table during this winter season.
One of the herbs I love using when I make a stew are bay leaves and thyme. Yes, the lowly bay leaves! Their earthy aroma and taste are perfect for your winter time cooking. Thyme is such a wonderful addition to any stew. And the chopped parsley makes for a pretty garnish too.
So, what else goes into this comforting, and scrumptious French oven baked beef stew? Well, lets see: onions, carrots, and parsley. This is like an Irish stew minus the Guinness. Try a bowl of this simply scrumptious stew on a cold winter night with a chunk of my Irish soda bread , or Irish brown bread, and you can sink into culinary oblivion.
Here is a nice collection of braising pans for your kitchen and great book of Alsace recipes.
Baeckeoffe: Fabulous French Oven Baked Beef Stew
Baeckeoffe : A tender and delicious oven baked French beef casserole stew from the Alsace region. Beef and potatoes cook to tender perfection. You will love this on a cold winter night!
- 2 lb beef cubed
- 1 lb pork shoulder cubed
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 slices bacon thick or slab type
- 1 onion medium,sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil orange infused
- 2 tsp thyme fresh
- 2-3 potatoes baking type
- 1 Tbsp curly parsley chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Peel potatoes and slice thin.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and saute in braising pan. Add the beef, and brown slightly.
- Place the rest of the ingredients, except the potatoes in the braising pan. Mix a little bit to combine. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake covered for about 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Remove cover from pan and broil for about minutes to get a golden color on the potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley
- Serve with warm bread.