Before we jump into making lattes without coffee, let’s look at the humble root and the reasons why people are opting for this healthy, golden drink.
What is turmeric?
This root is native to India. It has since been cultivated in subtropical regions throughout Asia. Bright orange in color, turmeric has a lot of health benefits. If you don’t look closely, you might mistake it for ginger because they’re similar in appearance. Upon slicing, you’ll see that ginger is beige and turmeric is so colorful it’ll stain your cutting board and knife! Be careful. What they share in looks is far apart in flavor and nutrients. Ginger is biting and warm; turmeric is aromatic and bitter.
Why add turmeric to dishes?
Well, consider it a superfood of sorts. Curcumin, the chemical found in turmeric, is known specifically for its ability to fight and reduce inflammation in the body. Its been an integral part of Ayurvedic and other folk medicine practices for centuries. In ancient times it was used to cure burns, remove toxins from the body, and as an antibiotic. Ancient medical practitioners also recommended daily intake with food to prevent diseases before they started. This is also how curry gets its bright colors. It makes sense that it’s a staple ingredient in Indian cuisine.
Turmeric in drinks? It’s delicious, we promise. This is a wonderful alternative to coffee so you can enjoy a flavorful, warm, healthy drink with your homemade brunch. My version calls for almond milk, but feel free to use cows milk or any dairy-free milk you desire.
Here are the visual steps to make turmeric latte:
- Gather your ingredients and have them measured: almond milk, vanilla extract, turmeric, cinnamon and honey.
- Place the cup of almond milk over medium heat. Don’t let it boil or scald. Add vanilla extract, turmeric powder, ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the honey or agave for the vegan version.
- Once it is hot, remove from heat and transfer half of the hot liquid to each cup.
- Transfer the other half to a frothing pitcher. Next, use a milk frother until it about doubles in volume.
- Pour the frothed liquid into cups. You can sprinkle some extra cinnamon on top for appearance if you like.
Turmeric Latte (Vegan version, too)
A delicious and healthy warm beverage that is quick to make on the stove top and then topped with frothed liquid.
Place 1 cup almond milk in a sauce pan on medium heat. Do not let it boil or scald. Just get it hot. It will start to bubble when ready.
While the milk is heating, quickly add vanilla, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. (Agave for vegan) Stir to combine.
Remove from heat and pour half into two cups, reserving the other half for frothing.
Pour the remaining half into a frothing pitcher and froth until it doubles in volume. Pour froth over each cup and serve. Add some cinnamon to the top if you like.