This is truly the ultimate spicy vegan curry, not because my daughter gave me the recipe, but because it’s delicious beyond words. Now, I am not a vegan by any stretch of the imagination, but this dish would make me a convert if I was so inclined. I honestly think that it is the mixture of ingredients that makes this the ultimate vegan curry.
Color me a tofu convert
There’s tofu in this dish too! I never thought I would eat tofu; but it’s not too bad. I was one of those annoying people who used to tease my tofu eating friends. I won’t anymore. One tip my daughter gave me is to use fresh ginger instead of dry ground ginger. She said you can also use the minced ginger that comes in a glass jar (this is what I use). For this recipe, I used my homemade garam masala and curry.
Living in South East Asia, my daughter has developed a taste for multiple types of curries. She is also what she calls a part-time vegetarian. There’s a story behind this, maybe in another post I’ll share. She made this for us one night and we were hooked. She had no measurements, so I really had to eyeball what she was throwing in to the pan. I think I got it pretty close. We served her ultimate spicy vegan curry with jasmine rice which is typical of South East Asia.
This aromatic rice grows in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Southern Vietnam. By the way, this Christmas my husband, son and I will be traveling to Vietnam to see her. She is an English teacher in Hanoi. My daughter said she will find out about a cooking class that I can take. I am so excited!!!!!
If you want to skip the rice, I highly recommend using naan bread to mop up the tasty juices in this dish. Also, to get the ultimate flavor, make sure you cook the vegetables way down. This will help to get the maximum flavor and also you will achieve a nice thick juice. BTW… you don’t need to use vegetable broth, just water. For a nice variation you can use the same vegetables and use coconut milk as your liquid, but will have to adjust the spices given the sweetness of the coconut.
Ultimate Spicy Vegan Curry
A spicy Southeast Asian stye curry with a nice mix of mushrooms, tofu, tomato and sweet potato.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 10 oz package mushrooms (cremini) quartered
- 3 cups water
- 10 oz tofu cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Boil the sweet potato until tender and set aside.
- In a small bowl place all the spice blend ingredients and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a skillet gently toss the cubed tofu in a little vegetable oil to brown on all sides. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat vegetable oil. Add in the onions and garlic and saute until translucent. Add in the tomatoes, carrots, sweet potato, mushrooms and water. Add in the spice blend and stir. Cook covered on low for about 20-25 minutes. Add in the cooked tofu and cilantro. Cook for additional 10 minutes on medium.
- Serve with jasmine rice.