Bacon Candied Walnut Scones with Maple Glaze
Delicious sweet and savory scones topped with a mouthwatering maple glaze and crumbled walnuts. They are perfect any time of day.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter cold, cut into pieces
- 1 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 3 slices bacon cooked, diced
- 1 cup Gruyere shredded
- 1/4 cup heavy cream for brushing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste*
- 1 Kosher salt dash
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425'F.
- In the bowl of a food processor place flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, then pulse to combine. Add the butter, and process on low until the mixture resembles a fine cornmeal.
- Next, transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl, and add the bacon, thyme and Gruyere. Combine with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Next, slowly add in the half and half mixing it with a spoon until all the ingredients begin to come together.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for about two minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to create a rectangle 12" x 6" X 3/4".
- Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise. You will now have two rectangles.
- Cut each rectangle into 4 pieces, then cut each rectangle across in order to make two triangles.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place rectangles on top, then place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- While the scones are in the freezer make the candied walnuts by placing sugar with cayenne in a non-stick skillet. When the sugar begins to melt, throw in the walnuts and turn them over lightly until they are fully coated.
- Brush with cream then immediately bake for about 20-25 minutes or until they begin to turn brown. Remove from the oven, and place on a cooling rack.
- While the scones are cooling prepare the glaze. In a small bowl mix together the milk and cream. Slowly whisk in the powdered sugar until the mixture is even, then mix in the maple syrup, and the vanilla paste. *If you do not have vanilla paste, then 1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract will do.
- Finally drizzle glaze on scones, and sprinkle with some of the candied walnuts.