During this marvelous season of peaches, what better dessert to make than a peach crostata. A crostata or galette, depending on where you are from is a scrumptious rustic dessert. It consists of pie dough wrapped around fresh fruit and baked to delicious goodness. In my book, and in my head, I consider peach crostata a “healthy” dessert, since it is mostly fruit, right? Right!
The beauty of this dessert, apart from its incredible taste lies in its rustic character. The Japanese have a term for this: wabi sabi. No, it has nothing to do with wasabi! Loosely translated, wabi sabi is the beauty of things imperfect. And so it is the rustic character of this dessert that makes it beautiful, as well as utterly delicious. I am actually trying to hurry up and get this post done, because my husband and I are going to a picnic this afternoon, and I promised to bring dessert.
At this time of year, peaches are plentiful, not to mention super juicy and amazingly tasty. Although we normally associate peaches with Georgia and other southern states, they actually originated in China thousands of years ago. Peaches were said to have been among the favorite foods of the emperors, and consequently no one else was allowed to eat them. From China, peaches then traveled to Persia and consequently the Persian traders introduced peaches to the Romans.
Sorry, this post is short compared to my other ones, but I really need to get to the fruit stand ASAP if I am to show up at my friend’s picnic with a peach crostata. So long guys!
Oh, and finally, if and when you make this delicious peach crostata, don’t forget to let me know what you think. I love reading your comments. Also, make sure you share this recipe with your friends!
How I love peach season! Fresh peach crostata with a creamy Neufchatel filling. It one of my favorite farm to table desserts!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 4 oz unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp apple jelly
*Neufchatel is in essence a low fat cream cheese
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 375'F.
- Prepare the filling: In a bowl place peaches,lemon juice, sugar, thyme, and cornstarch. Mix well and place in the refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Neufchatel cheese with milk and the egg and place in the refrigerator.
- For the dough: In a food processor place flour, salt, sugar and vinegar until combined. Add butter and egg wash and continue to pulse until mixture forms a ball. Remove from the food processor and flatten out on a floured surface with the palm of your hand. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to create a 12" circle.
- With a spatula spread cream cheese around the circle leaving a 2" border.
- Scoop peach mixture on top of the cream cheese mixture and using both hands bring up dough towards peaches overlapping the dough. Also,make sure you pinch well where the dough pieces touch each other.
- Brush the crust with egg wash, and sprinkle peaches with brown sugar.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat apple jelly until slightly melted and brush on the peaches.