Low carb chicken soup that doesn’t skimp on flavor.
It’s definitely soup weather up here in the frozen north. So many soups, so little time! Today, creamy chicken tortilla soup is on the menu. I hate to call this a copycat recipe, because my intention was not to make it taste exactly the same as the restaurant version, but to improve it. In essence, I’m striving for the best chicken tortilla soup recipe.
Creamy chicken tortilla soup is totally comfort food and love topping it with the colorful tortilla strips you find next to the croutons at the grocery store because they make the soup look so pretty. I love to use homemade chicken stock, as well, but today I am in a hurry and just using the grocery store brand. And just for the record, I used my own homemade chili powder; which you can find the recipe for on my blog.
My creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe goes great with a side salad which is exactly what my husband and I had for lunch today. There is definitely enough for me to pack in my lunch tomorrow. Yup, this soup also makes excellent leftovers. And, if you are looking for other soup recipes, my turkey burger soup is delicious too and also very easy to make. Finally, if a vegetarian soup is more your style, then check out my carrot coriander soup, an Irish recipe.
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Grab a bowl of comfort food! Creamy chicken tortilla soup is cheesy, spicy and smooth to warm you on a cold day! One of my favorite Mexican style soups.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 1 jalapeno cored and diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 14 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 6-8 sprigs of cilantro tied with twine
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar shredded
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- In a dutch oven melt butter. Saute onions, garlic and jalapeno. Add the chicken breast, and tomatoes. Toss in the tied cilantro sprigs, cumin and chili powder. Turn down heat, cover, and cook until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from the dutch oven and discard the tied cilantro.
- Shred chicken using two forks.
- Add stock and milk into the dutch oven, and stir thoroughly.
- Place cheese in a bowl and coat with the cornstarch.
- Begin adding the cheese to the chicken stock mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Make sure to stir well so all the cheese melts evenly.
- Once all the cheese has been blended into the soup toss in the shredded chicken. Add the cilantro and serve. Top with tortilla strips.